Congratulations on being accepted to college! This is a huge accomplishment and the first step towards an exciting new chapter in your young adult life. With the acceptance letter, you might be wondering what to do next. Here are some tips to help you prepare for the start of your college journey:
1. Celebrate your accomplishment: Take a moment to celebrate your accomplishment! This is what you have been working so hard for throughout high school.
2. Review your acceptance letter: Your acceptance letter (mailed to you or as a PDF on your applicant portal) will include important information, such as the deadline to accept your offer of admission, the deposit required, and any other important details. Read it carefully and note any deadlines to ensure you don't miss anything. Colleges allow students to decide until May 1st (National Decision Day!).
3. Submit your deposit online: If you accept your offer of admission, you will need to submit a deposit to secure your spot. The deposit amount and deadline will be outlined in your acceptance letter. Make sure you submit your deposit on time to secure your spot. Colleges sometimes offer incentives for students to send in their deposit early, such as a better housing option, preference to register for a particular orientation day, and more.
4. Attend admitted student events and take notes: Many colleges offer events specifically for admitted students. These events can be a great opportunity to learn more about the college, meet other admitted students, and get a feel for the campus life. You should take notes about this experience or even make a pro/con list to aid in making a final decision. Attend as many events as possible to help you make an informed decision about where to attend. Registration for these events can be found online on the admissions websites or in the applicant portal. Make sure to sign up early, as these can fill up!
5. Complete financial aid requirements: If you applied for financial aid, you must complete any outstanding requirements to ensure you receive your aid package. This might include completing the FAFSA, submitting tax documents, or providing additional information. A financial aid checklist can be found within the applicant portal.
6. Register for classes: Once you have accepted your offer of admission and submitted your deposit, you will likely receive information on how to register for classes. Class registration can sometimes occur at orientation after meeting with a first-year advisor. Make sure to check your email to learn all the details to register for classes.
7. Keep up your senior year grades: Final transcripts must be sent to your chosen college; therefore, don't give up on doing well!
8. Prepare for move-in day: Start preparing for move-in day. Figure out what you need to bring, what you can leave at home, and what you need to buy. Make a packing list and start gathering everything you need. Don't forget to connect with your future roommate and coordinate who is bringing what.
These are just a few things you can do after being accepted to college. Remember, this is an exciting time in your life, so take some time to enjoy it and celebrate all your hard work. Lighthouse Guidance is here to talk you through this decision and help you decide which college is the best fit for you and your goals!